Like their FF program’s Star Challenge this year, AC has come up with a pretty clever promotion, called Earn Your Wings, with a pretty generous prize: 10,000,000 (that’s right, 10 million!) miles to be shared between the top 25 flyers with the most “wings.”
What’s really interesting is that it’s not a pure racking up the most BIS miles, but rather a system based on earning badges from certain flights. In this case, the chart seems to favour short-haul flights.
Here are the fairly important terms and conditions:
- Aeroplan members must register for this promotion, book their flights and fly between April 11 and June 16, 2013 inclusively in order to be eligible to participate in this promotion and earn wings and badges.
- The objective of the promotion is to earn and collect wings and badges. Wings and badges can be earned in several different ways. Participants will earn wings for each flight segment of their journey. For example, participants who fly roundtrip from Calgary to Toronto will earn 400 wings. That’s 100 wings for each take off and landing. Select airports have been assigned a higher value of wings. For a list of those select airports and the value of wings assigned, please visit the Badge Legend.
So each segments will net at least “200 wings.” The badge legend is really complex, with destination badges which require flyers to either take off or land in airports:
Furthermore, there are also very cute premium badges that are for certain achievements, such as hanging out in three or more foodie towns:
What’s really interesting is the rewards for earning the badges.
Participants must earn wings and/or badges in order to earn Bonus Aeroplan Miles. Any combination of wings and badges that total 2,000 wings will receive 1,000 Bonus Aeroplan Miles. Any combination of wings and badges for a total of 10,000 wings will receive an additional 5,000 Bonus Aeroplan Miles, for a combined total of 10,000 Bonus Aeroplan Miles.
That essentially means 10,000 wings = 10,000 miles, in 10k increments of course. But given that some of the premium badges earn 5,000 wings, so that means a single flight can earn 5000+ miles! Unfortunately they are are not AQM (Altitude Qualifying Miles/EQM) but as RDM they should be worth at least 1 cent each. So that means effectively a decent rebate on some flights.
For some people in the west coast that have time to mileage run, this actually also might be a decent time to rack up redeemable miles for a cheap rate. Strangely enough this is giving me an itch to mileage run with Aeroplan.
A one-way ticket from Seattle to Victoria is pricing out at around $163 CAD. But that racks up the following wings:
400 wings: 4x take off and landing
That’s a potential 11,500 wings for that single flight! With the YVR-YYJ segment, there’s also potentially another 11,000-16,000 wings to be collected as well! So that one-way trip will net you at least 20,000 miles, excluding any AQM/EQM you might get assuming the terms and conditions stay constant. The terms and conditions say that it is possible to earn badges multiple times which makes it possible for adventurous people to try and win the competition. If you have a time, it might be a good way to get redeemable miles at less than 1cpm. And if you really had lots of time, you could win ~400,000 miles. 🙂
In any case, kudos to Air Canada to making this promotion fairly interesting. At the minimum people will book and fly Air Canada metal within the time period will at least get 2,000 bonus miles, so that’s a nice bonus for travel that will be booked (note that only flights booked within the qualifying window counts).
Here are some further terms and conditions:
ADDITIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS RELATING TO ELIGIBLE PARTICIPATION
- Must be an Aeroplan Member. If you are not an Aeroplan Member, you can visit the Aeroplan web site and enrol today.
- New bookings made as of April 11, 2013, for travel between April 11, 2013 and June 16, 2013, will be eligible. Any booking made prior to April 11, regardless of travel date, will not be eligible.
- Valid on eligible scheduled non-stop flights operated by Air Canada and under the Air Canada Express banner for travel between April 11, 2013, and June 16, 2013.
- To qualify, the flight segments must be travelled in the following eligible fare options (booking classes) : To/From Canada and Canada/USA/Caribbean (incl. Central America) & Mexico: Tango (N,G,P,E,A); Flex (M,U,H,Q,V,W,S,K,L,T) ; Latitude (Y,B) ; Executive Class Lowest (D,Z); Executive Class Flexible (J,C); To/From Canada and South America/Atlantic /Asia/South Pacific: Tango (N,G,P,T,E,L,A,K); Flex (M,U,H,Q,V,W,S); Latitude (Y,B); Executive First Lowest (C,D,Z); Executive First Flexible (J)
- Valid on published fares in above booking classes eligible for Aeroplan Mile accumulation. Offer is not applicable when travelling on an Air Canada Unlimited Flight Pass or any other promotional flight pass which does not allow mileage accumulation per flight segment flown
- Bonus Aeroplan Miles are not Air Canada Altitude Qualifying Miles and do not count towards Air Canada Altitude Status.
- Bonus Aeroplan Miles will be credited up to three weeks after the required number of Wings have been collected; every 2,000 Wings will earn 1,000 Bonus Aeroplan Miles; every 10,000 Wings will earn an additional 5,000 Bonus Aeroplan Miles
- Aeroplan Flight Rewards are not eligible for mileage accumulation
- Aeroplan Miles are subject to the Aeroplan Program Terms & Conditions.
- Offer is subject to change at Air Canada’s sole discretion without notice; other conditions and restrictions may apply.
- Participants acknowledge the non-responsibility of Facebook©, its officers, directors, employees and agents with regards to any injury, accident, loss or misfortune relating to all aspects of the Contest. This Contest is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook©. Participants understand that all information is provided to the Contest Sponsor and not to Facebook©.
WINGS & BADGES:
- Wings and Badges are neither Aeroplan Miles nor a form of loyalty currency. They cannot be sold and are non-transferable. They have no cash value and cannot be converted to cash or refunded if unused.
- Wings are being used solely in the context of this promotion for scoring purposes and only to determine each participant’s rank, whether a participant places in the Top 25 and the number of Bonus Aeroplan Miles earned, if applicable.
- Badges are being used to accelerate the collection of wings by offering more wings to select destinations or having been to a multiple number of airports, as per the Badge Legend.
- Social Media Badge is worth 200 wings. Destination Badges are worth 500 to 2,000 wings. Premium Badges are worth 5,000 wings.
- Social Media Badge can only be earned once. Destination Badges and Premium Badges can be earned more than one time. In order to receive a Premium Badge more than once, you must meet the minimum airport criteria as outlined in the Badge Legend each time.
- Please allow for up to 3 days after your flight has been completed to have your Air Canada flight credited to your Aeroplan account and Wings to be added to the leaderboard.
- The Leaderboard will remain active until September 16, 2013, to allow for missing flight credits to be requested and be included to determine final rank. Any retro credits must be submitted and processed before September 16, 2013, in order to be eligible to earn wings and, in consequence, any Bonus Aeroplan Miles
- The Leaderboard will be refreshed daily between June 17 and September 16, 2013
The last refresh date of the leaderboard will be on Monday, September 16, 2013. As of September 17, 2013, the participants who finish in the Top 25 will be eligible to each have an equal share of the 10,000,000 Bonus Aeroplan Miles.
- The Leaderboard Bonus Aeroplan Miles will be credited up to three weeks after the final refresh on September 16, 2013
- To be eligible to receive the bonus miles, your real name linked to your chosen user name for this promotion must match the name on the Aeroplan account entered in the Earn Your Wings profile