Travelling abroad? Get the HomeTrust Preferred Visa - the only Canadian credit card with no foreign transaction fees AND no annual fees. Compared to other cards, this saves you up to 2.5% on purchases internationally!
The SPG Personal American Express and SPG Business American Express cards currently have the best offer we’ve ever seen: 25,000 SPG points after completing $1,500 in spend. This ends on October 18, which is less than a week away. The increased signup bonus started back in July.
I value SPG point at 2.25 cents apiece, so the 25,000 SPG point bonus on each card is worth $702 ($563 USD). That’s a huge bonus for a card with low minimum spend requirements. You also earn 1 SPG point per dollar, making it the best card for non-bonused everyday spend. SPG points are tremendously flexible. They transfer to over 30 airline partners and at a 1:3 ratio with Marriott. Some of the best flight redemptions out there are only available with SPG, including booking Emirates First Class and Etihad First Class. Marriott Hotel and Air packages are also an incredible value if you have a large account balance.
Best AMEX Credit Card Offer
While the new American Express Cobalt Card is the flashiest new card on the block, the SPG card is actually a better deal. Why? If you calculate the numbers on the offer, the annual fees on the Cobalt and the SPG card is the same. The SPG card bonus is 25,000 miles, while the Cobalt card bonus transferred to SPG is only 20,000 points. You need $7,500 of minimum spend to earn the completed bonus with the Cobalt Card, while the SPG card only requires $1,500. This also may be the last increased signup bonus. SPG and Marriott will be merging in 2018 or 2019, so American Express (or a competing issuer) will be fighting about the card itself. The Chase Canada Marriott Visa is now not available anymore for applications.
If you apply for both the SPG Personal American Express and SPG Business American Express, you will earn 53,000 SPG points after completing minimum spend. You can always top up your balance with Membership Rewards at a 2:1 ratio. These cards earn Membership Rewards points:
- American Express Business Platinum Card: Get up to 75,000 Membership Rewards Points!
- American Express Business Gold Card: Get up to 40,000 Membership Rewards Points!
- American Express Platinum Card: Get up to 60,000 Membership Reward Points!
- American Express Gold Rewards Card: Get up to 30,000 Membership Rewards Points!
Applying For the Card
- American Express pulls TransUnion on your credit report. Check your credit score for free with Credit Karma.
- You can only have two open credit cards with AMEX at a time. Charge cards, such as the American Express Platinum and Gold Rewards card do not count towards this limit.
- You cannot convert credit cards between families (i.e. SPG -> Cobalt and vice versa), but you should be able to move limits between credit cards.
- Current data indicates that you can earn the bonus again even if you’ve had a card before. If you’d like more information about this, contact me.
- You can get the SPG Business American Express even if you don’t have a registered business. In nearly all cases, they use your personal credit profile in their decision.
- You can use PayTM to meet minimum spend. For new users, use PTM9462620 to get $10 after paying $25 towards a bill.
For additional details about any of these points, see my application guide.